Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Olympic Ice

OK, I'll admit it. I still dream of being an ice princess, and I'm a wee bit addicted to the Olympic Women's figure skating competitions. I absolutely love watching the women in their beautiful ice outfits, gliding gracefully across the ice, jumping triple-toe-loops and -lutzes, and landing back on the ice as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

I locked myself in my bedroom for a little alone time last night and was held captive by the figure skating short program competition. One thing I always enjoy is hearing the more-in-depth stories of the Olympic athletes. Their stories are incredible to me. I have never been the athletic type, but I can certainly relate to stories of triumph, perseverance, pursuing your dreams, growing up - many of the ideas that are talked about when the Olympics come around. And Sasha Cohen's story is no exception. Before she skated, they told a story of a girl who had fallen in pursuit of gold many times, a girl who was a prodigal figure skater of sorts - chasing down several coaches in pursuit of the magic she desired to bring to her skating, and of a girl who grew up and finally found her way back home to the coach who knows her best.

She was the last woman to skate in the short program last night. And, as she skated, I cheered her on (I know - I'm nuts. It's like my football. I scream, cheer, get excited, the whole bit) and held my breath. Every jump she nailed, a little bit more relief and a bigger smile. She was beaming by the time she finished her program and for good reason - she ended up in first place out of 29 and after a long pursuit - all her hard work, growing up, and perseverance paid off. It was a beautifully sweet moment.

It kinda makes me laugh to think how the Olympic stories move me. They have never moved me to think that I could truly accomplish anything athletic (I guess I'm just not geared that way). But, they do move me to think that I can certainly accomplish anything I set my mind to and that God at work in me can accomplish even more - not in a self-serving way, but in a way that is completely about Him, is incredibly humble, and always hopes.

2 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Wow, you put this so beautifully and with the picture too! Those stories ARE inspiring.

heartsjoy said...

You ARE an ice princess!! ;)