Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Happy un-Valentine's Day!

Happy, Happy un-Valentine's Day to you! I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday on the annual "day of luhve!"

Not only did I have the joy of celebrating with my husband at a wonderful concert, I got to carry on a tradition which is probably not that uncommon among families. My mom used to always set out little treats for my brother and I on Valentine's Day and I always felt so very special. It didn't matter to me if anyone else did anything for me, but my mom always made sure we knew how much she loved us. (Thanks, Mom! I love you to the moon and back!) One year, I remember my dad sent me yellow roses at school and that threw me over the edge of happiness. :-) My husband, on the other hand, was not brought up in the same traditions as I was, so this is all a little new for him still. He definitely has issues with how commercialized Valentine's Day is and rebels nearly every year, much to my disappointment. I'm truly a sucker (maybe a slave) for all those beautiful red roses and cards - the very gifts which seem to elude me every year. Waah! OK, I'm off my pathetic, whiny box now......... So, anyways, I got to do a few things for my new roomates to carry on my mom's tradition of love and I really enjoyed it. (If you've ever read The Five Love Languages, you must know that my "love language" is that of receiving gifts. It's how I enjoy showing my love and how I enjoy receiving love.) We didn't go over-the-top, just a little something to say how happy my husband and I are to have my stepdaughter and her son with us. It was fun! :-)

Also, I just enjoyed reflecting on the love of God and what His word has to say about love, so I'll leave you with a few of His words on the subject -
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
~ Ephesians 3:17-19

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
~ John 13:35

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
~ Romans 8:35, 37-39

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
~ Romans 13:10

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
~ I Corinthians 13:13

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
~ Ephesians 5:1-2

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
~ Hebrews 10:24

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
~ 1 Peter 4:8

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.
~ 1 John 3:14

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
~ 1 John 4:7

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
~ Romans 13:8

5 comments:

heather said...

ok, Janine. are you seriously on the clock during ALL of this blogging!? whenever I decide to blog, my mind runs empty - not you though! haha.

happy valentine's day, thank you for the card. don't feel bad about the lack of rose, i got my first ever roses yesterday. how sthpethal. tell jerry to rebel against rebellion and get some flowers already!

LiteratureLover said...

Ohhh, Janine. I should have sent some flowers or something. Thank you for your card by the way. I love HB's idea of rebelling against rebellion and get some flowers already! Laughing.

LiteratureLover said...

One more thing...I think it's great that you "treated" your step-daughter and son. I'm sure that made them feel special.

SuperMom said...

Thank you so much for the sweet card. You are so very thoughtful, Neaner. I hope you always know how special you are and how much you are loved.
Happy Un-Valentine's Day!

heartsjoy said...

Ohhh, you are so sweet to do so much for your new family and friends. I am so happy to know your love language. I LOVE learning who has what! Mine is words of affirmation. However, I do love giving when I remember. Ha. You will have to send me on e-mail your address and birthday! Happy Un-Valentines Day!