Monday, February 13, 2006

my new roomates

Well, this first week with my new roomates has been an interesting, sometimes tiring, and blissfully joyful one. Who knew that there was anything better than simply coming home to my husband and my kitties? Well, a little boy who greets us with smiles and coos the minute my husband and I walk through the door in the evening and his mommy smiling to see another adult face for the first time since she woke up in the morning says there is and they are. It thrills my heart to no end just to go to work each morning, think all day about getting home to see them, and walking through that door each evening. They have captured my heart and my love and I just know that it is I who am the lucky one to have them in my life. I can't even begin to wrap my head around all that God is up to, but it has to be good.

My stepdaughter and I had our first girls only night out on Friday. We had dinner and saw Nanny McPhee, which was hilarious and a lot better than I expected! (Very magical and a beautiful story. I may even have to buy it when it comes out on DVD.) We also had some good time to just hang out and talk a little. I'm still feeling my way around our relationship, but she has been pretty open and honest with me and hasn't been offended by any of the questions I've asked her. She has some wisdom and attitudes that have caught me by surprise, but also still acts and thinks like a child about other things. And, with the slowness of her mind, some lines seem to have gotten even more blurred than other ones. It's very hard to explain yet.

I'm enjoying the journey of getting to know her and love her. She reminds me of my husband in so many ways, but is also very much her own person. Saturday night, she mentioned wanting to go to the store to buy some OU Sooner outfits she had seen, so I said, "OK, let's go." Now, if this were my husband, he would have said, "No, later. I don't want to get out right now." But, she was so excited and, I think, thankful to get out of the house again. And, we went to the store and shopped - all for her son! We left for one outfit and came home with a small beginners' drum set (which thrilled my husband), four complete outfits, and a few other alphabet toys we found for him. :-) We both agreed it's not something we should do everytime we go to the store and we definitely agreed when it was time to get out of the kiddos' sections and run for the cashier. :-) One thing I have missed over the past few years is having shopping days with my mom or a good girlfriend. It's definitely a blessing for me to have another woman in the house, and this is only one reason why. She is a blessing in so many ways that my heart can't seem to contain it all!

The little one is too cute for words! And, yes, I know - I'm a grandma! I've captured a few cute pics of him on my wonderful camera phone and even though he seems shy now, just you wait! He coos and mumbles in an unknown language, chases the kitties around the apartment, sometimes picks them up by their fur and skin and hands them to me, is a little on the clumsy side, can be very tidy and clean, has secret ambitions of working behind the counter at Taco Bueno (as we discovered last night), and loves his security sheet. Yes, you heard me right - sheet, not blanket. His smile just melts my heart and he is definitely going to be spoiled to the brink of rottenness. I love this precious boy. He's not too squishy, but he is definitely huggably, lovably, little boy goodness. :-)

What a week! Is it time to go home yet?

4 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Ohhhh, how sweet! I am so glad that it has been a great adjustment so far. It seems like you are loving every minute of it. I'll have to say that she seems like a really sweet girl and a great Mommy. Her little one is so cute!

heartsjoy said...

That is so great! I hope you guys can just keep enjoying and loving on each other. Sounds like you are off to a great start! You are so generous!

heather said...

Hooray for you and double hooray for little boys. Strange how the smell is so sweet and stinky at the same time! I look forward to playdates and girl's nights, temper tantrums and bloody noses! And seeing the boys play, too! haha.

I am glad that the two of them will be coming to church, I am glad to get a chance to know them.

SuperMom said...

I don't care what you say, YOU ARE NOT A GRANDMA!!! You aren't even 30 yet!!!!!

I am blown away though at how you are handling it all. You amaze me, girl!