Wednesday, May 10, 2006

a miserable weekend & request for prayer

I have no other way to say it - it was a miserable weekend. I caught some kind of bug that made me so ill on Saturday that I couldn't keep anything down for over 24 hours. (We knew it wasn't morning sickness since I've been pretty fortunate not to have any all along.) About eight o'clock Saturday evening, I finally gave up trying to eat or drink anything after so many times of seeing everything in reverse and praying to the porcelain gods more than my share. We had even called the doctor on Saturday and she had recommended some anti-nausea medicine called Emetrol. What a crock! Every single dose I tried to take would not stay down. Anti-nausea medicine my butt. :-) (Can you sense my disdain for this medicine?) I was lonely, dizzy, and miserable. Sunday morning, I started eating saltine crackers bite by bite and sipping water. It was getting better. Sunday afternoon, I was finally able to handle some soup and it was heaven. Really. I was famished, dehydrated, and still dizzy.

Monday came and I was still really dizzy with a small appetite. I was having to force myself to eat anything. At the advice of one of the nurses, I went in to be checked out. They thought I might have low blood sugar and was probably dehydrated, so it was possible I might need to be hooked up to an IV to replenish fluids and such. It turned out to be a good visit and my husband was with me since neither one of us thought I should be driving. He got to hear the heartbeat of our baby (which really made all the misery of the previous few days worth it; even though the baby will drain me, God has arranged it that the baby will get everything they need to survive, even at my expense, and baby's heartbeat was nice and strong) and I got complimented by the doctor on some things that might seem a little strange. Let's just say she knows I'm drinking LOTS of water and was really happy to tell me so! I told her my mom would be so happy to hear it! The dizziness I've been experiencing appears to be from fluid in my ears and she recommended some over-the-counter allergy medicine to help alleviate it. She also said it might take a few more days for me to fully return to feeling well since I missed an entire day of eating and have a baby dependent on me for its nutrition and well-being. Wow! Babies can be so demanding! :-)

One area of concern - my blood pressure was up. I won't even get into the lovely 24-hour test I had to take, but I will just say that I'm thankful I didn't have to do it at work. The doctors didn't appear to be all that worried or concerned so I'm trying not to be either. We will know better how my body is functioning very soon. My original routine appointment was scheduled for next Tuesday and I get to keep it due to my blood pressure.

I still haven't gained any weight or outgrown any of my clothes yet! Yeah! And, I'm just about out of the first trimester! Everything else looks really good and the doctors were very positive.

Please pray that when I go back in on Tuesday my blood pressure will be back to normal and that the tests I've taken will come back normal and positive. And, even if it turns out not to be, I know God will certainly give me the strength, patience, and wisdom to deal with whatever the doctors advise me to do. After all, I am choosing to believe that this pregnancy (as are most in my belief) is God-given and therefore, He saw ahead to all that would come and thought it was still a journey worth putting me on and through. So, regardless of the outcome, I have to trust that He is working out a plan for His glory and my good in all of it. Especially in the uncertainties and unknowns. Oh, for faith to trust Him more!

No comments: