Wednesday, April 05, 2006

yesterday

So, yesterday I finished my forever work project and had some fun things planned for the evening. A friend of mine - Mandy - and I decided to get together at the Starbucks closest to my apartment to just get caught up and hang out. She and her husband have two precious children of their own and when I told her I was pregnant, she was so excited for me! (I do need to mention something incredible about my relationship with her. We met when we both were new to Tulsa almost seven years ago, but we had somewhat of a falling out almost five years ago and just disconnected from each other. Then, a few years ago, while I was still working a second job, she showed up in one of the stores I was auditing with RGIS. Well, we both just knew that God had brought our relationship back together and thankfully and incredibly, we were reconciled. Since then, we still don't manage to see each other very often, but it's getting better and I have a feeling it will just become even more so now. I'm so glad for God's redemptive power at work in our lives and relationships!) Well, I received my first pregnancy present last night and I felt so loved and blessed. She gave me a book called Supernatural Childbirth which may sound a little funky to some, but has prayers in it to remind me of what God's word says about pregnancy, childbirth, and motherhood. There's a chapter in it called "Can I be a joyful mother of children?" and I was like, boy do I need to read that chapter! I read some of the prayers and scriptures about not fearing during pregnancy and trusting God and I was ready to cry. I have been wanting to find a book with prayers or devotionals specifically for pregnant women and God, in His infinite wisdom and love, used my friend to bring me the very thing I needed! Mandy and I had a wonderful time of catching up and sipping Chai Lattes (no caffeine for me) and I was very encouraged by her genuine words and friendship.

After finishing our visit and leaving Starbucks, I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and get home so I could eat. My daughter and I decided to watch the movie and my husband retreated to the bedroom/office to get some things done. After the movie, I decided to try to engage Jamie in a discussion about the obvious spiritual references in the story and talked about how much more detailed the book is and explains a little bit more than the movie. She seemed to make some of the spiritual connection after I mentioned it and she seemed a little surprised to realize it. Even though I did most of the talking (not entirely my choice; she's just really quiet and contemplative), she seemed happy to listen and interested in knowing more about the stories. I'm trying hard not to press her or overwhelm her with my passion for stories and how we can find truth about the world we live in them, but I pray that God would use each conversation we have like this to just spur her interest and move her mind to think in different and new ways. I cannot wait to start reading with her and pray that she will enjoy and be engaged and challenged by stories!

I'm also in the process of deciding what I plan to do once the baby is born in November (or whenever he/she decides to come) and I'm leaning very strongly towards staying home and not returning to work. My husband knows this is/has been my desire and is supportive of this plan. Over the next nine months, I would definitely appreciate any suggestions, advice, or encouragement all you stay-at-home-mommies can give me. I know this is where God is leading me in regards to my child, so I am taking joy at the thought of being my kid's mom.

In that light, I wanted to mention that I found this incredible prayer on another blog that says -

Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you yourself shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God.

-- Phillips Brooks

I am going to be holding on to this prayer over the next nine months and will no doubt "wonder at myself" and "at the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God."

I know everyone is probably getting tired of hearing me say this as well, but I've realized that if there is anything God is specifically calling me to be, it's

BRAVE.

So, that is what I am striving to be in every aspect of my life! Here's to a brave and successful pregnancy and a brave and wonderful life as my kid's mom!

4 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Ohh, Janniners you are up to a terrific start! You are a great Mommy already...praying for that little one. I am SO excited that you are thinking of staying home. IT is Such a joy and challenge but just as in life God is there with us through it all!

SuperMom said...

Whoa. You're going to be a MOM!!!! Doesn't that sound weird? I mean, a good weird...a GREAT weird, but weird. How cool is that?

LiteratureLover said...

How fun that you were able to share The Chronicles of Narnia with Jamie. I'm sure she will learn lots from you as will her son and your soon-to-be-baby.

A stay-at-home-mom? How fun. We'll be glad to fill you in. ;)

janiners said...

supermom, it IS weird, but I'm totally going with it. :-)