Monday, April 03, 2006

without words

So, for all you who have been holding your breath, patiently awaiting the answer to my previous post - the riddle - it should come as no surprise to hear the answer is that I'm pregnant! YEAH!

What wonderful and terrifying news all at once! This will be my very first child and my husband and I's first child together and I'm sure all you mommies out there can comprehend the gammit of emotions I'm experiencing - wonder, terror, anxiety, joy, excitement, shock, disbelief, and grace, among many others. But, it's also hard for me to express all of how and what I'm feeling and I think it very necessary to share something somewhat personal in relation to this.

I've shared with a few people who I know will read this that until the home pregnancy test on Monday and the doctor's confirmation on Wednesday proved me wrong, I had this nagging feeling that I would not be able to have children of my own. I had even begun to reconcile myself to this thought - taking joy in the thought of adoption and recently, taking incredible joy in having my daughter and grandson here to love. So, why the nagging feeling? Quite simply, because of shameful moments in my past when I have prayed to God not to be pregnant and by His grace, I was not. And, because I had this warped idea that God would punish me in my future for things I had done in my past by not allowing me to ever have children. On one hand, it's humbling to publicly uncover this box I placed God in and have Him prove my thoughts and ideas about Him wrong. On the other hand, it's also incredibly humbling and wonderful that when I least expect it, He bestows new mercy and grace on my life and in the process shatters all my insecurities and misconceptions about who He is.

Everyday, I am more and more aware that my very life itself is an act of God's grace - there is no other reason I am alive but for His grace and glory. Even my name - Janine - means "God is gracious" (as does John, h b, you know - the same form of name?). I am a work of God's grace, wonderfully created in Christ Jesus, and this little boy or girl taking form inside me is truly a blessing and a new expression of God's unmerited grace in my life. So, when you see me, if it seems I have very few or no words to express how I'm feeling, it's because I truly don't. I am still taking it all in. And for once, I think silent wonder is more than appropriate. There will be plenty of time for talking and writing over the next nine months. But for now, I am without words.

6 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Oh that is such great news!! Thank you for being so vulnerable and honest! God is so gracious and I love what your name means! I am SO EXCITED for you! I will look forward to the coming months with anticipation and excitement!

LiteratureLover said...

God IS so gracious to us all. Thank you for sharing so openly. This little bundle will be a great blessing.

Candy said...

Wow! I am so excited for you and boy, have I got a story for you. Let's just say I know exactly how you feel. I have a 14 year old we had given up ever thinking we could have on our own. We had begun the adoption process when I found out I was pregnant. They say that's pretty common. However, all the feelings you shared about your past - ditto. In my case, I'd had an abortion that I had buried for years. Even after my son was born I kept it hidden for 8 more years. To this day I find myself thinking our son is a gift because my husband is so very good. Isn't it crazy what lies we'll believe? Thanks for your honesty. God really does bless truth. And Congratulations!!

Candy said...

oh yeah, and my name means "glittering, glowing white". go figure

SuperMom said...

I know exactly how you feel, and I'm so happy for you and your husband!! It's a journey unlike anything you have ever experienced. You're going to be great at it, I know.

Congratulations!!

janiners said...

thanks girls for your encouragement and support! i am getting more and more excited. my first OB appt is on Good Friday and I cannot wait!

candy- thanks for coming by my blog! I have really enjoyed reading yours and have been so very encouraged by your thoughts and hearing about how God works in your life and your passion for Him. i am in complete awe of what He's doing in my and my family's lives and will follow Him down whatever road He takes me. thank you for sharing with me the way God has worked in your life in similar areas - it just adds to my joy, gratefulness, and wonder. i'm glad to have found another friend and sister-in-Christ in the blogging world!