Friday, April 28, 2006

I can't believe it!

For at least a few years now, I've been struggling with my weight issue. And, it is an issue. I could never seem to find the right motivation to just do it and get healthy. I've looked at pictures of myself from even a few years ago and breathed a deep sigh of angst, thinking I'll never even get back to that - I just don't have the willpower to do it. I've been holding on to clothes that I cannot tear myself away from because even though I am not taking action, I am convinced that someday I will be able to wear all my cute clothes again. I've even tried telling myself that God can't possibly be happy with my eating habits or lack of exercise, but to no avail.

When I got pregnant, I was (and still am) overweight. This was not only a huge concern of mine for many reasons, but also a factor in why my mom did not first respond with delight at finding out my happy news. I won't go into all the mucky details here, but I will just say that I knew how my mom would react and so instead of calling her, and at the advice of my very wise brother, I called my dad, knowing he would undoubtedly pass along the news. In the background, I could hear my mom making reference to my weight and what part of her body she would stick up another part of my body if I didn't start eating right. (Nice.) Of course, I was disappointed, but not really surprised. These comments came from the woman, who back in November, advised me (and I quote) - "Don't you dare get pregnant at your weight." I didn't have any intention of doing so, but I also knew that my husband and I weren't actively trying to prevent pregnancy. Nice little loophole for me now. (Now, please understand that God is so very gracious and my mom's heart has come around since seeing the first ultrasound pictures of her growing grandchild-to-be. I am not resentful of her first response because that is just how I know my mom is. We've already talked about all of these things and understand each other in a way that even my mom says is unmerited. Praise God!)

Now, moving on.......

Getting pregnant has been a huge motivator for me to begin replacing my old eating and excercising habits with new and better ones. Knowing that someone else is dependent on you for their nutrition and well-being really has a tremendous impact on me. God knew this, and while this is not the only reason He has blessed me with a pregnancy I misguidedly believed I would never have, I believe this is an effect He knew it would have on me. This pregnancy, in a roundabout way, is an answer to prayer for finding the motivation to do something I couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) before.

I've dramatically changed the way I eat - what I eat, how often I eat, how much I eat, all that - and am getting out to walk on a daily basis and it appears to be having a positive effect on my health and my figure. Mind you, I am not trying to lose weight. I am just making a goal to eat more healthily and walk more than I have been. Not to mention cutting out soda completely and replacing it with water is an incredible miracle in itself! I never loved water as much as I do now!

This morning, along with it being Friday and Tulsa in store for some much-needed heavy rain (minus the destructive threat of tornadoes), I received another happy surprise when I went to put on a pair of jeans that last week was somewhat tight around my growing midsection and realized they went on a little easier and were actually a little looser. Hooray! Woo-hoo! I know my belly is growing, but it appears that other parts of my body are shrinking!

I keep saying that I will be in better shape when the baby arrives than I was when I got pregnant and it looks like I may just get what I'm hoping and working for! Nearly 11 weeks and counting, little one! Grow away!

6 comments:

gracie said...

You go girl!!!
Pregnancy changed my metabolism and I began losing weight straight away. I have been slim ever since, 2stone lighter now then I ever was before I had kids! Hormones must be good for something!

thebarefootpoet said...

Awesome! Hang in there, my son has proven to be a very important boost to my motivation to be healthier. You can do this, we can do this!

LiteratureLover said...

Fantastic! Good for you!! ;)

Candy said...

Good for you! Kids have a way of changing our lives, that's for sure. I love that you are so enjoying this pregnancy already. I had asthma so bad before I got pregnant and haven't had it at all for 14 years. Being pregnant is a marvelous thing, not only for your body but for your heart.

heartsjoy said...

That is awesome. I am trying to get on better paths too but still struggle many times. Thanks for the wonderful boost and encouragement to get on the band wagon! I am so proud of you really trying to do the best for your baby...what a great mom! :)

paulmerrill said...

Yay!

Blessings as you continue blessing that precious little life inside.