Wednesday, March 08, 2006

some hearts like mine

Well, this post has been a couple weeks in the making. I haven't really had a chance to talk to anybody for any length of time about how things are going with my stepdaughter and grandson, but now, I'm to the point of overflowing with things to share!

A couple weeks ago, I took my stepdaughter, Jamie, and the girl I mentor, Jessica, out together on a Friday night to see Eight Below. The two girls really have so very much in common and I thought they would easily hit it off, so I decided to introduce them. (I was quite nervous about this, but God blessed the introduction and I know there will be many more girls' nights for the three of us together.) The night before, I called Jessica to make sure she was available and would be able to go see the movie with us. When I got off the phone and many times in the 24 hours prior to the movie, I was overwhelmed and brought to tears by how blessed and honored I am to have these two incredible girls in my life. Four years ago, if you had told me what my life would look like today, I might not have believed you, especially the part where Jamie and her son come to live with us! These girls are a blessing to me and it is such a joy to be part of their lives!

One of my favorite moments the night we went to see the movie was being in the truck with the girls that reminded me of moments I've shared with my mom. I turned the radio to a country station for fun and there were moments when we were all singing along together. It brought back so many sweet memories of my mom and I driving together and singing songs in the car. What really amazes me is that neither of the girls felt so shy or inhibited that they wouldn't sing in front of someone they didn't know. I just thought that was so very beautiful in itself. I still haven't quite got over those moments.

The first girls' night went so very well. I enjoyed watching the interaction between the two of them and Jamie seemed to laugh the night away. It seems already like a bond has formed between all of us that I pray God will continue to strengthen and grow.

Now, last Friday, just Jamie and I went out together. Friday night has become my "date night" with her. She stays home with her son all week, so I want to make sure we get out of the apartment at least once a week to just be girls. I have had a gift certificate to a place here in Tulsa called Beaded Sisters that I have been waiting to use with Jessica. But, again, this is a mutual interest of the two girls because Jamie likes to make beaded things as well. So, we decided to use some of my gift certificate and go make ourselves some necklaces and bracelets. It was a lot of fun! And, Jamie is so very sweet. She mentioned needing to bring Jessica the next time around and I was so thankful and glad to hear her say it. Jamie finished her two items before I had even finished laying out my necklace to string. She's so fast! Or maybe I'm just that much of a perfectionist still. Hmmmm. We also got out of Beaded Sisters for a LOT less than I was expecting. So much so that even when we go back with Jessica, we probably still will not use all of my gift certificate! After leaving Beaded Sisters, we went to dinner at a Mexican place called Arizona's and I introduced Jamie to queso. I couldn't believe she had never tried queso before! And, I admit it took some convincing to get her to take her first bite. But, once she tried it, she was hooked. Since it turned out to be somewhat of a short night, we decided to just rent some movies and go home after dinner.

My grandson, Ryan, is just a sweet bundle of joy, for the most part. :-) The other day, we watched as he scolded our kitties for fighting with each other. He was so serious, shaking his finger at them and still talking a jumbled mysterious language. Last night, he kept crawling into this box, playing hide and seek with me and I enjoyed tickling him and hearing his sweet laughter. A few nights ago, he and Jamie were outside in the courtyard of our apartment building when my husband and I got home from work. I chased him, while he giggled away - nearly into the street. It scared me to death! I yelled at him to stop at least three times before finally catching him and sweeping him up into my arms and looking at him very seriously while Jamie sprinted towards us. He sometimes is watching the TV then looks at one or all of us, points, and it seems like he's trying to explain something to us, but we can't for the life of us understand any of it. He dances sometimes when he eats. He runs back and forth in our apartment like our cats do, really. He sort of dances when he walks most times. And, he is one tough cookie. He's too sweet for words to adequately express and his smile is definitely contagious.

Now, after all this, I still have one last thing to share. I received a CD for Christmas called Some Hearts, the debut CD by Carrie Underwood. And, I love it! The first night I went out with Jamie, which was less than a week after they arrived, I was playing this CD in the truck. The title song - Some Hearts was playing and when I really listened to the lyrics, I couldn't help but think of my new family situation.

Here are some parts (well, actually most) of the song that really catch my heart's breath when I hear it -

I've never been the kind that you'd call lucky
Always stumbling' around in circles

But I must have stumbled into something...
I wake up feeling like my life's worth living
Can't recall when I last felt that way
Guess it must be all this love you're giving
Never knew never knew it could be like this
But I guess

Some hearts
They just get all the right breaks
Some hearts have the stars on their side
Some hearts,
They just have it so easy
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes

Now who'd have thought someone like you could love me
You're the last thing my heart expected
Who'd have thought I'd ever find somebody
Someone who someone who makes me feel like this
Well I guess

Some hearts
They just get all the right breaks
Some hearts have the stars on their side
Some hearts,
They just have it so easy
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes

Even hearts like mine
Get lucky, lucky sometimes
Even hearts like mine, oh....

Some hearts
They just get all the right breaks
Some hearts have the stars on their side
Some hearts,
They just have it so easy
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes
Some hearts just get lucky sometimes


Now, I believe it's more than simply a stroke of luck that is behind this incredible blessing of Jamie and Ryan being here, the financial ability to do so, and why things are going so very well. I just feel very lucky and blessed to have my husband, Jamie and Ryan in my life. In fact, I feel lucky that we have each other. And it's not at all what I expected. It's infinitely more. Thank you, Lord, for this incredible gift! I don't know why You would choose a heart like mine to bestow so much mercy, grace, love, and joy upon, but I am eternally humbled and grateful.

4 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

How fun! It sounds like you are having the time of your life and what a tribute to your new family you give. I am so happy that it's all going so awesome! Can't wait to know your extended family more.

SuperMom said...

That is so sweet, Neaner. Those little guys have a way of wrapping you around your finger before you know what hit you ;-) I'm thrilled to know your family is getting along so well together!

janiners said...

if anyone saw the other comments posted on this blog post, I am terribly sorry and deleted them this morning. not groovy!

heather said...

Thank you, God! I feel you sister, who knew life could feel so good?