Wednesday, July 12, 2006

baby's first concert! and update

When I first found out I was pregnant, my best girlfriend suggested we take one "last" road trip together and do something fun before the baby is born. She really wants to see Rascal Flatts in concert so we found out that they were going to be in Bonner Springs, Kansas on August 5. In the process, we noticed another friend of ours in desperate need of some major girl time and a night (or two) out away from the kiddos. So, this party of three country girls bought our tickets to the "Me and My Gang" tour this past weekend and will be on our way in 3 1/2 weeks! Woo-hoo!

The only other "secular" concert I've been to is Journey's, so I'm really looking forward to rocking out country-style with my two girlfriends, getting to hear some of my favorites in person, and hopefully, enjoying my baby's own first dance stylings! Speaking of the baby, he should be fine. We have lawn tickets and will be far enough away from the stage to prevent any hearing loss (ours or his). I know - how fun is that? Just one of the sacrifices you make when you become a mom.

******************************************************

I also had a regular pregnancy check-up yesterday and met with my first male OB doctor. He was very nice and helped to alleviate my concerns about the whole fluid issue with baby. I'm really looking forward to my ultrasound next week and he spoke very highly of the people I will be visiting with. Unlike the clinic I have been going to where the tech performs the ultrasound and passes the results on to the doctor to interpret, the doctors I will be visiting with next week are apparently internal fetal medicine doctors and not only perform the ultrasound, but interpret the results themselves as well. He was confident that they will be able to give me lots of information while I'm there in the clinic next week. My best girlfriend is coming with me and we'll have some fun girl time afterwards, preparing for a baby shower and celebrating her birthday.

I've still only gained one pound total since becoming pregnant and the doctors' opinions just seem to differ. Some of the doctors I've met with have wanted to see me start gaining some weight, but the doctor yesterday did not seem at all concerned. Kinda nice, having the problem of trying to put on weight. It can't possibly last forever. The next 18 weeks could get interesting.

And, as always, the sweet sound of baby's heartbeat made my whole day. I love that it gets easier to find the bigger baby gets and the farther along I am. It's like he no sooner had that doppler on my belly than we could hear baby's strong heartbeat loud and clear. I remember the first time hearing it in May - those five or ten minutes until we found it were nerve-wracking!

Now that I'm over halfway there, I'm getting more excited and nervous to deliver and see this little baby! It's still overwhelming to think that in about 18 weeks, I'm going to meet the son God knew about before I was even born. I'm longing to hold him, kiss his face, take care of him everyday, and just be his momma. All the love I have left to give is already completely his, if that's possible. Though I wouldn't miss or rush them for the world, these next 18 weeks can't go by fast enough.

5 comments:

paulmerrill said...

Have fun at the concert!

I wouldn't worry about his hearing damage. (Plenty of amniotic fluid to protect him.) But you might bring along a couple of earplugs for your ears.

Candy said...

I love it! His first concert! I wonder if it will make him a country lovin' boy. I sure don't remember attending any rap concerts when Max was in utero but that's what he tends to listen to. Let me warn you now, they have minds of their very own!

jesprincess said...

I can't wait! For the concert or the baby boy!

heartsjoy said...

Sounds like fun times with girlfriends!! When pregnant with 2nd child we went to a concert and the vibrations were so loud she got to moving a lot! It was so fun though! Hope you enjoy your girlie outings! ;)

LiteratureLover said...

Sounds like fun times. I'm so glad that the doctor you went to helped you feel better about things. Sounds like you'll know more when you get the next ultrasound.