Friday, July 28, 2006

movieng thoughts

The movie I went to see yesterday by myself was Lady in the Water by M. Night Shymalan. I decided to see it by myself because I knew neither my stepdaughter nor my husband were very interested in seeing it and I really wanted to see it. I'm really a quiet, big fan of this particular director and storyteller. My favorite movie of his was Signs as of the day before yesterday.

Without giving too much away, I just have to say I loved it! Though it isn't epic like Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia, it still has very big and inspiring ideas. The movie itself revolves around an ancient story and how the characters of the movie become characters in the ancient story. Hmm. Sounds a little familiar. There are moments of redemption, moments of setback, and moments where the person you would least expect to play a major role in the action does. There are ongoing conversations about purpose all throughout the movie - how to determine who plays what purpose, the temptation to arrogance of assuming a particular role or that one person knows everyone else's purposes, doubting your purpose, embracing your real purpose, and acting on it. There are both good and evil forces at work and an underlying message about the human condition as a whole. It's particularly relevant when you think of all that's going on in the world right now.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I'll probably see it again and/or buy it when it goes to DVD.

On another note, I've been seeing lots of previews for the new World Trade Center movie. Although a part of me wants to see it, I don't know if I'll be able to sit through it. As it is, the tears just fall down my face everytime I see the previews. For me, the pain of that day is still so fresh in my mind. And if it's still fresh in my mind, I can't imagine how it feels for all those who were more personally affected by the events of that day. When I think of all the brave men and women of the emergency departments and probably some bystanders who went into those towers and put their lives on the line just doing what they do everyday for all the people who were trapped inside and remember the sight of the towers falling, I. Just. Can't. Do. It. It's not something I want to re-experience. So, I will probably skip it.

Does anyone else still find it hard to think about that day?

1 comment:

heartsjoy said...

Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard much on that day. As far as the World trade movie, I felt like you at first, like I just couldn't do it. However, I saw another preview that showed it was from the view of two of the policemen who survived I think. Anyway, I thought that would be interesting but I still don't know either...still very emotional.