Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I Miss my Brain

*** I thought this picture was perfect to go along with this little poem I wrote below. When I first told a good friend of mine how much I was missing my brain, she said I probably wouldn't be seeing it again - ever! So, I'm waiting patiently for the pitch black! ***


Oh brain how I’ve missed your ever-thoughtful self these days!
Our relationship just hasn’t been the same since baby’s been on the way.
Absentmindedness, not focus has been my strength of late
I admit the will to fight the memory drain is hard to motivate.

I first noticed your absence one day when I got to work without my keys
And went hunting through the office, praying to find them – “Please, God please!”
How was I to know they were safely tucked at home?
Just where little hands can’t take them off to roam.

And you weren’t there the time I went hunting twice through my purse
For something sitting right in front of me – someone get me a nurse!
And what about the time that Friday right around ten
I just know I was supposed to be somewhere – where were you then?

I find myself stepping into a room and confusedly looking around
What did I come in here for, I wonder – but the answer cannot be found
And driving’s not looking any better these days.
Forget the road rage - I just drive aimlessly in a haze.

Oh brain, how I miss you!
My sweet holder of memory, how I need you!

Please come back and release me from this prison of forgetfulness
So I can get back to my former life of usefulness
Otherwise, I’m afraid of what may happen when baby’s finally here
And I forget to change his diaper and he’s crawling around with a poopy rear!

5 comments:

gracie said...

yup... nearly 11 years later and my brain is still AWOL!!

heather said...

lol, leave it to janine to end a poem with "poopy rear!"

SuperMom said...

LOL!! Well, the good news is, when your brain gives out, your nose will still tell you when the rear is poopy :-)

jesprincess said...

That's great!

LiteratureLover said...

That's an awesome poem! L You really have an amazing way with words.