Tuesday, December 06, 2005

to Christmas or holiday?

I read an interesting news article online today about how A Charlie Brown Christmas almost wasnt. You can read the article here. (I think I've almost got the whole link thing figured out, Kyle!)

I can so vividly remember watching this little cartoon with my family while I was growing up. Although it was a nice story at the time, it seems to mean more to me now. I always feel like I can really relate to Charlie Brown's cry of frustration and maybe desperation -
Isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what Christmas is all about?
and I always get teary-eyed when Linus quotes the story I remember reading out of the Bible every Christmas Eve or Christmas morning PRIOR to opening presents. (Thanks, Mom and Dad for teaching me what the real meaning of Christmas was before Linus did!) I'm reminded and so grateful that year after year, God's words are still the same to me now as they were to a group of frightened shepherds on the night Jesus was born.

I think what first drew me to the article is that I've been hearing so much about the "to Christmas or holiday?" issue. And, when I saw the headline online, my first thought was that they couldn't have gone so far as to not air Charlie Brown this year!? (I know, like the world is going to end or something. You have to understand, Charlie Brown is like an elemental tradition to the holidays for me.) I think it would have put me over the edge with this whole Christmas issue.

My husband and I have talked a little bit about this and I guess I just want to put this out here. Personally, I don't have any problem with companies who want to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas and I guess I'm not as concerned as some of my other conservative friends. It makes me sad, yes, and seems a little bit ridiculous to me personally (I mean, it's Christmas; what's so hard about that?) but I will not sign a petition to let the companies know how upset I am as a follower of Christ that they are "taking Christ out of Christmas." Why? Because they can't take Christ out of Christmas or this holiday just because they refuse to acknowledge it. I am not worried about my religious rights as a Christian being infringed upon or denied because I know that in this country, nobody can dictate how I choose to celebrate this holiday. If I want to say Merry Christmas, I have that right, but I don't need to force others to do the same to make it more real to me. I am comforted by the fact that no matter the circumstances around me, I carry the life of Christ within me; no law or person can take that from me.

I am of the mind that instead of fighting with people to make them acknowledge Christmas with their lips, we are called to acknowledge Christ at work in our lives and the lives of those around us by living out our faith in love and calling others to a relationship with the Savior that gives meaning to the Christmas holiday we celebrate, no matter what time of the year it is.

So, Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Good point! You always make me think.

Kyle said...

Way to go with the links!

Now if you and I can just figure out how to get our blogs to talk to each other while we're busy at work...