Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Narnia-itis!


Well, like Ann, I have to admit that I have Narnia-itis! I have read through all but the last two books of the Chronicles and they have been incredible! I never knew I could enjoy or be as moved by books of fantasy as I have been by these ones!

As well as the books themselves, I have recently discovered a CD that is called "Music Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" and it has been just as moving as the books! (And, I must say that for a compliation CD, I haven't found too many that are entirely as enjoyable as this one has been for me.) There is one particular song that has begun to really grow on me and the lyrics go like this -

I heard Your song coming over the hill. I know it seemed like the world stood still. You were singing a melody that caught me by surprise. Yeah, it sounded familiar to me like I'd known it all my life.

And, I keep looking down as I move in closer. My heart is racing now with fear and wonder. Could I come back to You, so long on my own. From where I am I know this is not my home.....

You're the One I believe. A king, a friend has always been holding on to me. You're the One and I have seen Your life and death, the endless breath breathing into me. Just the mention of your name and I know, I know I found love. Cause You're the One.

I think the part that strikes me very personally is the part that talks about "a king, a friend has always been holding on to me." I am in awe of Christ's power to be my king and my friend at the same time and also to always keep a hold of me. I know that I may travel far away from Him in my heart, but He will never let me go.

The beginning of the song just reminds me of a specific part of the story - the picture of a song coming over a hill, a song that seems so familiar you feel like you've known it all your life and it catches you by surprise to know that someone else not only knows it but is also the composer, lyricist, and singer all in one. That's just beautiful to me. I love the idea of God singing over us, like in Zephaniah 3:17, where it says -
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
These books, while fantasy, have given me a new glimpse of the great romance God has for us. They're wonderful!

No comments: