Tuesday, September 05, 2006

every season

Days like today – the whisper of fall in the cooler air and even in the way the sun shines, the beginning of trees shedding their summer-kissed leaves, being able to drive with the windows down and breathe it all in – it all just sings a beautiful love song to me of God, of hope, and of my favorite time of the year on the way. It makes me want to cry for joy and makes me so very thankful that my first child will be born in the fall. I would give a thousand summers to live just perpetually in the fall, winter, and spring seasons. Days like today just make me thankful to be alive. And, it kinda leads well into what my next post is going to be about. I've entered a season of fall in one area of my life where one chapter is ending and spring is about to blossom in another area and a whole new life is about to arrive - literally! Joy and a little sorrow comingled.

It all reminds me of a song by one of my favorite singers and it should come as no surprise who it is – Nichole Nordeman.

The song is called Every Season and needs no explanation or interpretation. Enjoy!

Every evening sky, an invitation, to trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration, for freedom that is ours
And I notice you in children's games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer

And even when the trees have just surrendered to the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September and sending us inside
Still I notice you when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come
You are autumn

And everything in time, and under heaven, finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation, shivers underneath
And still I notice you when branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death you open doors for life to enter
You are winter

And everything that new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
And what was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with you, and how you make me new
With every season's change
And so it will be as you are recreating me

Summer autumn winter spring

3 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

I love this weather too! What beautiful lyrics.

heartsjoy said...

What a beautiful song! I am with you...loving the wonderfully cool weather! (it feels really cool anyway after the 100's) I also agree that I feel sad when seasons end but excited about the new season to begin!

MM said...

Your blog identity paragraph pierced my heart. I hope you are well.